Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of September 7th, 2015
#1 Team AAA (Aero Star, Drago & Fenix)-CHIKARA’s King of Trios crowns another #1 tag team (or in this case…3-man tag team this year as Team AAA came out on top in perhaps the most prestigious “Trios tournament” in the United States. Maybe even the world. It was another truly historic year for this big tournament as this team defeated The Gentleman’s Club (Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak & The Swamp Monster) at Chikara on 9/4 in the first round, then defeated The Nightmare Warriors (Frightmare, Hallowicked & Silver Ant) on 9/5 in the quarterfinals, then defeated The Devastation Corporation (Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch & Max Smashmaster) on 9/6 in the semifinals, and then defeated Bullet Club (AJ Styles, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) in the final to win the 2015 King of Trios and go 4-0 for the week. Even with this ranking, there’s no guarantee they’ll be a lock for the Tag Team Top 50 this year. Can they achieve more in 2015 as a team?
#2 BULLET CLUB (AJ Styles & The Young Bucks)-In an unprecedented move for the official voters, a team that got to the finals of a tournament but didn’t win was actually voted into the #2 spot this week. In the past, talents have been ranked after losing a tournament, but never as highly as #2…which tells you a lot about this year’s King of Trios. This seemingly unstoppable three-man team defeated Battle Hive (Amasis & The Colony (Fire Ant & Worker Ant) at Chikara on 9/4 in the first round, then defeated Battleborn (Kevin Condron, Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault Man) on 9/5 in the quarterfinals, then defeated Team Fight Club Pro (Daniel Moloney & Moustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) in the semifinals on 9/6, but then lost to Team AAA (Aero Star, Drago & Fenix) in the final to go 3-1 for the week. Despite the loss in the finals, it was a hell of a run for one of the best “trios” teams in the entire world. If they team more outside of NJPW and ROH, we might see more of them in the Tag Team Top 5.
#3 Country Jacked (Corey Hollis & Adam Page)-Essentially if CHIKARA’s King of Trios had not taken place this past weekend, it’s likely that the NEW PWX Tag Team Champions would be sitting in the #1 spot this week. The Kings of Carolina Tag Team wrestling became NEW PWX Tag Team Champions (to go along with their WrestleForce Tag Titles) when they defeated The Bravados (Harlem & Lancelot Bravado) at PWX on 9/5 to win the titles and then teamed with John Skyler & Gunner at PWX on 9/6 to defeat Moose, Tim Donst, Tomasso Ciampa and Shane Strickland to go 2-0 for the week. PWX was all over both the singles’ Top 10 and now the Tag Team Top 5 this week. PWX truly is a major player on the indies right now.
#4 Sumerian Death Squad (Tommy End & Michael Dante)-This European tag team continues to impress and just continues to get themselves ranked in the Top 5. The former #1’s and current PROGRESS Tag Team Champions issued an open challenge and came out on top when they defeated two members of the former Dojo Bros stable in Roderick Strong & Adam Cole on 9/6 to retain the titles. On a week with teams with multiple wins all over the place, SDS showed that they could take on the top talent from around the world and come out on top AND get ranked yet again.
#5 Iceberg & Tank-This tag team came out of nowhere to impress the official voters and get themselves ranked this week. This duo teamed on 9/4 and defeated Terry Lawler & Scotty Beach at DragonCon in Atlanta in the semifinals of the DCW Tag Team Cup and then defeated Murder One & Chip Day and Washington Bullets (Jon & Trey Williams) the same day to go 2-0 for the week to win the tournament. Pretty extraordinary week for a team who has yet to be ranked or mentioned and with this ranking, we hope to see more of them throughout the rest of 2015.
People’s Champs. B.A.D. (Yukon Mike & Chris Morrus)-The EMERGE Tag Team Champions won the online voting competition this week and ALMOST got themselves ranked this week on the strength of their big victory vs. the Young Dragons (Ace Perry & Dale Patricks) on 9/5 to retain the titles. On any other week, they likely would have cracked the Top 5, but for now, they get to take home this week’s “People’s Champs” award.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
BxB Hulk & La Flamita
Takafumi Ito & KEI Yamamiya
Cy Gregory & Marc Massa
new WILD order
Wylde & Reckless
Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee
Green Phantom & Vampiro
- BUY OUR SHIRTS! Shirts being added all the time at: http://prowrestlingtees.com/indypower
- Our Website (where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting): https://indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com/ Our Facebook page: Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings
- Also search “Indy Power Rankings” for our open Facebook group where anyone on the indies can promote their various merchandise, fan pages, and upcoming events
- Our Twitter: @IndyPowerRankin
- Our Instagram where we SPOIL the Indy Power Rankings/Tag Team Top 5 #1 every Monday and Tuesday Night before you’ll see it anywhere else: @IndyPowerRankings
- The Tag Team Top 5 Reveal as we try out a new podcast platform with a HUGE IWA Mid-South Home, Sweet, Home Hype Central featuring Corporal Robinson, Joseph Schwartz, Randi West, & more: http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/139201
- Check out our chronicle of the IWA Mid-South blood feud from 2001 with Corporal Robinson & “Mean” Mitch Page to hear the competitors sit down and talk about the historic battles: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/elitepodcastnetwork/2015/06/05/mitch-page-v-corporal-robinson-the-feud–revisited-hosted-by-phenomenaltld
- Listen to the IPR 100 Mid-Year Update here:
- Listen to the Tag Team Top 50 Mid-Year Update here: