Indy Power Rankings for the Week of January 19th, 2015
1. Sugar Dunkerton (@SugarDunkerton)-It has been an unpredictable, but AMAZING two weeks for Sugar Dunkerton or “Suge D” as he won the Strong Style Wrestling Heavyweight Title last week, grabbed a #2 ranking, and then followed that up by winning the RESISTANCE Pro Heavyweight Title on 1/17. Two weeks. Two title wins and 2015 is starting out as a FANTASTIC year for a guy who seems to have found a few homes in the Midwest with his recent success. He was a last second opponent for Scotty Young on 1/17 for the vacated RESISTANCE Pro Title and well…”Suge D” scored yet another huge win to get him where he’s at now. #2 in the online voting competition with 127 votes. Go back and catch his IPR Live interview where he talks about his recent success here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/elitepodcastnetwork/2015/01/14/indypowerrankingslive-w-devon-moore-corporal-robinson
2. Jimmy Susumu-Despite a DOMINANT 6-0 week at Dragon Gate, the fans really didn’t show any support for this Japanese talent. He teamed with Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Ryo “Jimmy” Saito and Jimmy Kanda on 1/12 at Dragon Gate to beat YAMATO, CIMA, Don Fujii and Cyber Kong, then teamed with Masaaki Mochizuki and “Mr. High Tension” Kotoka on 1/13 to beat Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi and Shachihoko BOY, then won the #1 contenders tournament for the Open the Dream Gate title in Dragon Gate, defeating Ken’ichiro Arai in the semifinals and Big R Shimizu in the final (both on 1/16) then teamed with Jimmy Kagetora on 1/17 to beat Monster Express (Akira Tozawa and Shingo Takagi) and finally teamed with Jimmy Kanda on 1/18 to beat Millenials (El Rindaman & Kotoka). That is an impressive week, regardless of fan support. Now as far as Japan goes in 2015, there’s been several “one-offs” so far, so we’ll see if Susumu can make his way back into the Top 10 in the future.
3. Tommaso Ciampa (@ProjectCiampa)-After ALMOST winning the PGP Ryan Buckley Memorial Tournament on 1/10, he bounced back this week with 2 big victories as he retained his XWA Title vs. former #1 (in 2014) JT Dunn and Paul London and then picked up a big win vs. Greeko GQ Suave to go 2-0 for the week. That makes 4 out of 5 wins for Ciampa as 2015 is already looking about as good as his 2014 where he was relevant for months at a time. After being ranked #16 in the IPR 100 for 2014, it seemed unlikely with our exclusion of ROH that he would be back…but he is back with a vengeance. With him taking frequent bookings all over the Midwest and East Coast, look for more appearances throughout 2015 for “The Sicilian Psychopath.”
4. Kongo Kong (@RealKongoKong)-The surprising breakout story of 2014 was without a doubt Kongo Kong (or Osyris if you prefer) as he ranked #3 in the IPR 100 after not even cracking the Top 100 the previous year. This year he’s already off to a hot start after running the gauntlet by defeating Shane Mercer, Reed Bentley, and John Wayne Murdoch on 1/15 to retain the IWA Mid-South Title. He then won a squash match at NEW over the weekend just for good measure. It will be tough to top his 2014, but he’s already on the right track as at this time last year, he had not yet been ranked.#4 in the online poll with 20 votes.
5. Matt Riviera-HUGE weekend for this first-timer into the Indy Power Rankings Top 10. The NEW NWA WS Heavyweight Champion won the title after he defeated Americos in the first round, then beat Rik Luxury in the semis, and then finally beat Brian Kendrick in the final. This all took place on 1/18 to win the tournament and the vacant title to go 3-0 for the week. Hell of an impressive way to make his debut in the Top 10 and we hope to see more of him throughout 2015.
6. “Bad Bones” John Klinger (@TheGermanPsycho)-After being ranked #33 in the IPR 100 for 2014, he came into 2015 with a lot of momentum, but shows were a bit show in the early going in Europe as they usually are post-Christmas. Now, things have picked up as the wXw Shotgun Champion (and IPW:UK World Champion) defeated Axel Tischer and Ilja Dragunov on 1/17 to retain the title. He is now undefeated in his last 8 matches (with 7 wins, 1 draw) and is already starting to prove his monicker of “Best in Europe” to be absolutely true. Can he continue this type of success? If history is any indication, he certainly can.
7. Ethan Page (@OfficialEgo)-Very good weekend for one of Canada’s finest as he defeated Will White by DQ on 1/17 at PW Eclipse, then defeated Space Monkey on 1/18 at Alpha1 and then defeated RD Evans the same night to go 3-0 for the week. After just missing out on the 2014 IPR 100, we look for him to have a tremendous year as there are very few who are poised for stardom like “All Ego” Ethan Page. With frequent appearances at AAW and AIW, you can expect to see a lot more of him as the year continues to roll on.
8. Jake Crist-1/2 of OI4K continues to have a fantastic year after ranking #30 in the 2014 IPR 100. Last week the Rockstar Pro Champion (and multi-tag champ) defeated Alex Colon by DQ at Rockstar Pro on 1/14 and then teamed with Ron Mathis to defeat Kyle Kraven & Flex Jordan the same night. If consistency is truly the key to being ranked frequently in the Indy Power Rankings, then Jake Crist has the secret formula right now as he’s been as consistent as anyone, which has translated to rankings. Very few have had a better early 2015 than him. #8 in the online poll.
9. Jimmy Jacobs (@JimmyJacobsx)-“The Zombie Princess” was a late addition to the poll, which may have hurt his ranking slightly. He is the NEW Canadian Wrestling’s Elite Champion as he defeated Michael Allen and Richard Clark on 1/13, then defeated Stefan Epic on 1/14, then defeated Chad Tatum on 1/15, then defeated Danny Duggan on 1/16 to win the title, then defeated Carter Mason on 1/17, and then finally dropped one as he teamed with Chase Owens to lose to Danny Duggan and Carter Mason on 1/18 to go 5-1 for the week. It’s amazing how infrequently he’s been ranked in the past, but perhaps 2015 is the year that all changes.
10. Lance Archer (@LanceHoyt)-The HOW Undisputed champion and 1/2 of NWA World Tag Team Champs teamed with Davey Boy Smith Jr and Takashi Iizuka at Pro Wrestling Noah on 1/12 to beat TMDK (Jonah Rock, Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste) then teamed with Minoru Suzuki, Shelton Benjamin, Taichi & Taka Michinoku to beat BRAVE (Atsushi Kotoge, Mohammed Yone, Naomichi Marufuji & Taiji Ishimori) the same night. He then teamed with Minoru Suzuki, Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Takashi Iizuka on 1/18 to beat Naomichi Marufuji, Mohammed Yone, Mikey Nicholls and Shane Haste to go 3-0 for the week. Impressive week and surprisingly, the first singles ranking for one of the biggest and baddest on the indies.
People’s Champ. Wam Bam Bellows (www.facebook.com/pages/WB-Bellows) –It was USA vs. Australia as Sugar Dunkerton absolutely duked it out in the online voting competition, but in the end, Australia and Wam Bam Bellows came out on top with 130 votes…just 3 votes more than Sugar Dunkerton. With more wins for the Snakepit Friday Night Fights Heavyweight Champion, he could start popping up in the Top 10 on top of his huge voting numbers in the online voting competition.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Crazy Mary Dobson
Sweet Saraya Knight
Billy Brash-#3 in the online poll with 25 votes
RAZE-Tied for #10 in the online poll
Chris Hermes-#5 in the online poll
Matt Lawson-#7 in the online poll
Aaron Williams-Tied for #10 in the online poll
Chris Korvinn-#6 in the online poll
John Skyler-#8 in the online poll
Our Website (where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting): https://indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com/
Our Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings
Also search “Indy Power Rankings” for our open Facebook group where anyone on the indies can promote their various merchandise, fan pages, and upcoming events
Our Twitter: @IndyPowerRankin
Our Instagram where we SPOIL the Indy Power Rankings/Tag Team Top 5 #1 every Monday and Tuesday Night before you’ll see it anywhere else: @IndyPowerRankings
You can listen to the IPR Live with NEW co-host John Wayne Murdoch here (this week we’re talking AWS’s Race for the Ring 2 with Raze, Sasha Darevko, Mariah Moreno, & more!): http://www.blogtalkradio.com/elitepodcastnetwork/2015/01/21/indypowerrankingslive-aws-wca-race-to-the-ring-hype-central
Check out the Indy Power Rankings Reveal on Filling the Void (we’re talking Infinity Pro on 1/20 as they have a big show coming up on 1/24/15): http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fillingthevoidrn/2015/01/20/indy-power-rankings-weekly-reveal
Here are the IPR 100 Links:
Night 1 (12/29 from 9 PM to 11 PM EST): http://www.blogtalkradio.com/elitepodcastnetwork/2014/12/30/ipr100-2014–night-1-ft-jesse-amato-ron-mathis-hudson-envy-more
Night 2 (12/30 from 9 PM to 11 PM EST):
Night 3 (12/31 from 9 PM to 11 PM EST):
Here is the Tag Team Top 50 link:
12/30 from 3 PM to 5 PM EST: