Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of June 30th, 2014
1. Juicy Product (JT Dunn & David Starr)-The record has been broken! Team IOU’s record of 5 #1 rankings has been broken at the hands of the FIP, CZW, and now NEW NYWC Tag Team Champions, the Juicy Product. They went into their match on 6/28 with 8 straight wins, looking to add some more gold as they took on Rack and Sack…and they left with a 3rd set of tag team titles and a 9th straight win. They have now been ranked #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 for a record 6 times. While they’re not quite at #1 in the Tag Team Top 50, as of press time they’re #3 and with 6 months to go, the sky’s the limit for this young tag team. Can they knock off the Young Bucks at Beyond Wrestling and add to their list of accomplishments? #3 in the online poll.
2. The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Mark Angelosetti)-Last week’s #1 tag team were a victim of circumstance this week because of the dominance that Juicy Product have shown lately. That being said, there’s definitely an argument for The Throwbacks to repeat at #1 this week as with their win at WIF! on 6/28 vs. The Bloc Party. At the end of the day, it was Juicy Product’s collection of gold that helped push them to a record #1, but The Throwbacks were EASILY the #2 this week as they only got #1 and #2 votes from the official voters. With two #1 rankings already to their credit this year, it will be interesting to see how the rest of 2014 plays out for them. #4 in the online poll.
3. The Bravado Brothers (Lancelot & Harlem Bravado)-The DGUSA Open the United Gate and WrestleForce Tag Team Champions had as good of a single weekend, or better, than anyone on the list. On 6/28 they defeated a very good tag team in The Worst Case Scenario at PWX and then followed that up with a successful defense of the WrestleForce Tag Team Titles on 6/29 vs. Jesse Windham & Zane Riley. Despite an injury here or there, this North Carolina tag team has been fantastic throughout 2014. With them being double champions, a #1 ranking can’t be too far off.
4. The Forgotten (BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs)-Call them “The Decade” or call them “The Forgotten”, but regardless, the former 2 time ROH World Tag Team Champions stepped into AIW on 6/29 and left with the AIW Tag Team Titles after defeating the long-reigning former Champions, The Jollyville Fuck It’s. Whether they’re rivals or partners, these two veterans bring out the best in one another and now they have gold once again to prove it. The Decade were ranked #1 as a unit (the team of Roderick Strong, BJ Whitmer, & Jimmy Jacobs) but now that Jacobs and Whitmer have these prestigious titles, they have a shot at getting their first #1 ranking as a 2 man team.
5. The Viking War Party (Alex Rudolph & Jake Parnell-The SNPW Tag Team Champions have been pretty damn good in the Midwest this year. While many times they team with a 3rd Viking in the form of Frank Wyatt (as was the case when they defeated Alex Ohlson, Ox Baker Jr. and Cameron Starr at Freelance Wrestling on 6/27), it’s this 2 man team that has been the most successful. They went 2-0 over the weekend with the above noted win and a successful title defense vs. former “People’s Champs” Roscoe Eat Lisa (Mikey McFinnigan & Zakk Sawyers) on 6/28. Keep looking for big things out of them as 2014 continues to roll along.
People’s Champs. The Soul Shooters (Appollo Starr & Dru Skillz)-The NEW Tag Team Champions were behind in the online voting competition almost the entire day but they roared back to take the lead just before voting closed and finished with 64 votes and their 3rd People’s Champs award. This Midwest tag team has done an excellent job of getting their names out their lately.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
The Hooligans-#5 in the online poll
The Normals-#2 in the online poll with 57 votes
Brian Milonas & Scotty Slade
High Spot Heroes
Aaron Williams & Ron Mathis
Alexander Croft & Terry Isit
Eddie Thomas & Chase Gosling
Our Website (where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting): https://indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com/
Our Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings
Our Twitter: @IndyPowerRankin