Indy Power Rankings for the Week of June 2nd, 2014
1. Satoshi Kojima (@cozy_lariat)-HUGE weekend for the NWA World Heavyweight Champion NWA World Heavyweight Champion and ½ of the NWA World Tag Team Champions as he qualified for the poll after he defeated Jeremiah Plunkett on 5/30 at NWA SAW to retain the title and then defeated Damien Wayne later in the night. On 5/31 he defeated Carson at NWA Houston to retain the title once again to go 3-0 on the weekend. He has won 9 straight matches and shoots straight up the rankings in his very first appearance. With a rematch vs. Rob Conway coming up, he’ll have another chance to reach the very top of the Top 10.
2. Gary Jay (@StiffRoboGinger)-The St. Louis Anarchy Champion and VWAA Circuit Champion defeated Moose at IWA Mid-South on 5/29, Steven Kennedy at PWCS on 5/31, and then Rickey Shane Page on 6/1 at VWAA to retain the Circuit Title. It’s his first ranking in a couple of months and it’s a HIGH ranking. With the way he’s going this year, it’s hard to argue that he’s one of the best in the Midwest right now. He was just a few votes away from the #1 ranking this week.
3. Dave Mastiff (@DaveMastiff)-Hell of a weekend for this brute of a man. He was 3-1 on the weekend with wins vs. Low Ki at PCW, Bubblegum at PCW, and Chris Hero at SWE. His only loss was in a 4 Way vs. Uhaa Nation on 5/30 at PCW. Despite the one loss, he beat the who’s who of not only independent wrestling, but wrestling in general over the weekend. We’ve been seeing him get mentions from time to time but he kicked the door to the Top 10 right in this week.
4. Hy-Zaya-His win vs. last week’s #8 Shane Mercer and his strong support last week in the IPR poll was enough to push him straight up the rankings after a very strange week. He’s now in the finals of the IWA Mid-South World Title Tournament but standing in his way is last week’s #10 Kongo Kong. It would be a monumental victory if he could beat the big man and it would be his first World Title win at IWA (he’s a former Light Heavyweight Champion there). #10 in the online poll.
5. Max Von Shultz (@Mexxberg)-He came onto the Indy Power Rankings radar seemingly out of nowhere as the NEW Varsity Pro Wrestling Champion defeated Leon Shah on 5/28 to win the title and then continued to win, retaining vs. Jay White on 5/29, Rob Holte on 5/30 and then scoring another win vs. Kayden Lay on 5/30 to go 4-0 on the weekend. In terms of shear amount of wins, he was #1 this week. Great weekend to make his first appearance in the Top 10.
6. David Starr (@TheProductDS)-This triple champion has been unbelievably successful lately. He is the XWA Heavyweight and ½ of the FIP/CZW World Tag Team Champions. On 5/31 he and JT Dunn put those CZW World Tag Team Titles on the line vs. the PWX Tag Team Champions Los Ben Dejos and came out victorious. He falls a couple of spots due to it being just a tag team win, but it was enough to keep him in the Top 10.
7. Tommy End (@TommyEnd)-This is not his first appearance in the Top 10 but it’s the first in several weeks. The wXw Unified World Wrestling Champion defeated Chris Hero on 5/31 to retain the title and then defeated Mark Haskins by DQ on 6/1 which was enough to get him noticed, but it was his 7 straight wins that helped push him right back into the Indy Power Rankings once again.
8. Reed Bentley (@TheReedBentley)-The EPW Elite Champion defeated Jonathan Gresham by countout at IWA Mid-South on 5/29 and then defeated Tripp Cassidy, Ace Perry, and Shane Mercer to become the NEW EPW Openweight Champion (which he gave back to Cassidy the same night) on 5/31. He’s been no stranger to big time matches lately with wins over the likes of Chris Hero and others, but it’s been a while and he deserved to return after a weekend where he beat top names and added gold (temporarily) to his collection.
9. Ethan Page (@ethanpage89)-1/2 of the AAW Tag Team Champions stays right where he was last week in the Top 10 after a singles victory vs. Louis Lyndon at AAW on 5/31. He’s been as successful as anyone lately and some voters even made an argument for him at #1 (citing that he was the only ranked member of the Top 10 from last week that won a singles match). It’s been another solid year so far for “All Ego.”
10. “American Viking” Alexandre Rudolph (@VikingRudolph)- ½ of the SNPW Tag Team Champions won a 4 Way vs. Da Black Mon, Bolt Brady, and Daniel Eads at IWA Mid-South on 5/29, teamed with Jake Parnell to beat Team IOU on 5/31 at SNPW, and then teamed with Evan Gelistico to defeat Valhalla and Derrick St. Holmes at VWAA on 6/1 to go 3-0 on the weekend. It’s his first time in the Indy Power Rankings Top 10 after some successful weeks to appear in the Tag Team Top 5 and if this success continues, it won’t be his last time. #9 in the online poll.
People’s Champ. Lance Anoa’i-WXW C4 Ultimate Heavyweight Champion defeated Bandido Jr. on 5/30 and Carlito on 5/31. #1 in the online poll with 148 votes.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Josef Von Schmidt-#2 in the online poll with 137 votes
Kevin Tibbs-#8 in the online poll
Devan Thomas-#4 in the online poll with 38 votes
Matt Taylor-#5 in the online poll with 32 votes
Chrissy Rivera-#7 in the online poll
Hakim Zane-#6 in the online poll
Eddy Young-#3 in the online poll with 71 votes
Our Website (where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting): https://indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com/
Our Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings
Our Twitter: @IndyPowerRankin